Friday, October 31, 2008

Rollo Skates

For the past several mornings, Aile and Brenner have been wanting to sing "I've Been Redeemed" during family worship. And I have been teaching them all the different verses that I remember so well from my childhood. Well, the other morning Sean introduced a new variation to the song. I'm sure you've all heard them: the satirical extra verses that were created by some bored soul to make children laugh--"You can't get to Heaven in a limousine...'cause God don't sell no gasoline" and the like.

Well, this morning Brenner hit the jackpot at a local garage sale and found the perfect pair of roller skates (he's been wanting some ever Aile got hers for her birthday). So immediately after lunch he put them on. After zooming around the house for a while, getting used to the feel of them and considering himself quite a pro already, he came out to the kitchen to see me.

"Mommy," he said. "Did you buy me these rollo skates?"

"Yes, Brenner," I answered.

"At that little flea market?"

"Well, it was a garage sale, but yes."

"I like these rollo skates, Mommy."

"I'm glad, Brenner. You're doing really well on them."

"But Mommy..."

"Yes, Brenner?"

"You can't get to Heaven on these rollo skates." (You'd sail right past those pearly gates, you know...)


No comments: